Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Black Caesar

This is my introduction. I've been wording and re-wording this intro for the past few months. But this is what I finally decided on, for now...

“The streets can have you for all I care.”
Imagine yo mama shouting that to you while her boyfriend throws out yo clothes, yo shoes, everything out on the middle of the driveway. She doesn’t shout it out to yo face; nah, she ain’t got the balls for that. Instead, she yells it out from the kitchen sink as she washes the last bit of collard greens for her man’s nightly collard green fixin’. Yea, it seemed like my mama must have skipped out on the “how-to-be-a-good-mama-in-the hood” lesson every other hood-mama musta went to.
The streets can have me huh? Well, it has coddled me like a newborn some nights, shivering in its arms as the darkness tried to swallow me whole. You’d think people would show more love to a veteran. I fought for this country for damn near four years and not even my mama can show me some respect. All I ever had was the streets. Lately, the streets been asking me to come home every time I stepped to it; enviously watching me as I stepped back into my mama’s cold embrace night after night. I finally gave in. Streets, I’m coming. I sho have missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave messages so I can track your feedback...