Monday, February 25, 2013

Writers and Storytellers

As I continue to write my books Dealin' Broken Promises, previously titled Black Caesar, I've spent a lot of time reading a number of other books. As a writer, it is important to read. In the past, when asked to read something I'd always turn my nose up and reply, "I'm a writer, not a reader." First mistake, and a quite grave one at that. As a writer, reading allows you the chance to see your work from a different perspective. It gets you out of the rut you may be in when writing the same line, plot thrust, or whatever roadblock in your writing that prevents you from moving forward and developing that next publishable work. Hence, if you're a writer, then you absolutely must be a reader.

On that note, as I read other works I found myself turning into a grammar snob. I approach other writers' works with the notion that, "Ugh, I could've written this better," or  "Ugh, this author's book, riddled with poor grammar, isn't worth the publish. Why not me instead?" Shame on me. Of course this author wouldn't have written this book like me because the author is not me and this author does not approach the art of authoring quite like me. Hence why that author is published and I am simply but a reader. Nevertheless, I've come to the realization that the reason why I approach authors' works differently is because not all authors are writers, but merely storytellers.

I am a writer. I will write anything, anywhere, anyway just for the love of writing. I love feeling the stroke of my pen as it glides along the cool feel of loos leaf paper. I like to sit back and gaze at my words typed or handwritten and admire the shape of my vowels accentuated by the curve of each consonant. I love words and I love to see them written. I am a writer. And although I understand that there are many other writers out there that may share my sentiments, there are many storytellers that may not.

Storytellers love the story. They may not concern themselves with perfect grammar and unparalleled description of details that only distract the reader from the story; they are storytellers. They strive to tell a story from start to finish while teasing the reader with relevant details in the process. The grammar may not always be perfect, the punctuation may not be on point (pun intended) but the story, however wonderfully crafted, is there.

In this day and age, readers love a good storyteller. No one lambastes a storyteller for missing a comma if the story is amazingly authored. If I tell you about my trip to Witch Mountain, you're not hoping that I don't use contractions or start sentences with And, But, or Because. No, you're hoping that the story takes you on the ride you strapped yourself in for. As aspiring writers, it is important not to focus too much on the details that merely distract the writer but rather tell a story that forces the reader to forget that you ended the last sentence with a preposition.

I think I forget that. And although I'll make no plans to stop being a writer, I realize that it's high time I take on the joy of being an amazing storyteller. After all, readers just want to read a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave messages so I can track your feedback...