Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Good Christian Girls

I woke up to the harsh feeling of ice-cold water thrown in my face. I look up and noticed mama standing over me. I glanced at the clock beside me; 4:45AM. I remained silent. I didn’t know my transgression but I wouldn’t dare refute its existence.

“I got a call from your school today.”

I laid back in my wet sheets and braced myself. I thought Mrs. Bryan got the hint. Mama grabbed the fabric of my pajamas and pulled me to her face.

“What did I tell you,” she barked. My heartbeat quickened. How do I answer a question that isn’t meant to be answered. I open my mouth to let out the fear that welled up in my throat. Mama slapped it back inside me.
I held my face and screeched, “I’m sorry mama.”

“Yea you better be sorry. I got yo damn school calling the hospital for me while I’m making my rounds ‘cause yo fast ass wasn’t in school today.”
I hesitate at first then bite, “What?” I asked. Mama slapped the other side of my face.

“You heard what I said. I dropped yo’ lil narrow ass in the front of that school at 7:55AM, so it damn sho’ wasn’t my fault. So that means, that instead of sitting yo’ butt in class you should’ve, yo’ fast ass prolly ran off after I drove off so you can be with one of those dirty street boys.”

I was confused and delirious. Waking up in the middle of the night with ice-cold water in your panties can make the world pretty fuzzy. “But I was at school mama.”

Mama closed her fist and caught the side of my jaw. “You think I’m stupid? So yo’ school is the ones lyin’ to me then huh?”
I dropped my shoulders as I thought back to the previous morning. I remember walking into class and then Mrs. Bryan taking my arm and leading me into the teacher’s lounge so she could discuss my introverted behavior. Another teacher took role, she must’ve forgotten to mark me as present.

“I was at school mama. It’s just, Mrs. Bryan wanted to talk to me and—

“What did she want to talk to you about,” mama dropped the tone of her voice and pulled my face to hers. “What did you tell her?”

I swallowed the blood that filled my cheeks. “She…she just wanted to know why I been so quiet.”

Mama let my face go and stood there watching me. She placed her hands on her hips and tapped her foot. “You think I’m a bad mama?” Trick question. “Let the state come in here and put in the system.” She snickered wickedly, “You’ll realize how nice you had it after you end up in one of those ratty ol’ foster homes. Is that what you want?”

Anything has to be better than here. She dropped one hand from her hip and twisted her mouth.

“Answer me,” she demanded.

I quickly shook my head. She smiled.

“I know you don’t.” she took a deep breath, “what did you tell that—

“I didn’t tell her anything mama, I swear.”

She slapped her ring finger in the corner of my eye. “Don’t swear, either by heaven or by earth. Let yo’ yes be yes an’ yo’ no be no so you don’t fall under condemnation.”

With that, she turned on her heel and let me wallow in my offenses. It was colder than usual tonight. Mama must’ve turned on the AC and put it below 50 degrees right before walking in here. The sting of the cold water would hurt more that way.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh...where do you come up with this stuff?!

    ReplyDelete

Be sure to leave messages so I can track your feedback...