Sunday, June 12, 2011

As I Wait

Simone’s life was simple. She was simply a 34-year old real estate broker. She lived in a modest one story two bed/one bath home; she parked her car on the street since she didn’t own a two-car garage. She drove a 2001 Honda Accord with tinted windows, plain, factory accustomed hubcaps, and automatic locks. However, the most important factor to note in her description is that she is a woman. A woman with needs. A woman with yearns. A woman with the hope of finding that man who can make her mind wander while at work. A man who tells her that she doesn’t need to work because he can take care of her, but she still works because she needs to show him that she is an independent woman—but the simple gesture is enough to make her heart slide down her right leg and hit the floor. Yes, Simone was a woman who, like every woman, was looking for a man to please her.

She waited there. She waited there as her close friend walked away from her loneliness and into a better future. She waited as the initially warm breeze quickly turned into harsh and quick swooshes across her skin. Simone wrapped her arms around her waist and closed her eyes. She waited.

“Are you cold?”

Simone squeezed her eyes tighter hoping the deep voice that she imagined would come back if she wished hard enough. Her body jerked when she felt a soft palm on the small of her back. She opened her eyes.

“Are you cold, Miss?”

Simone turned her head and locked eyes with a Greek God, or so it appeared. His body stood tall and strong. His finely tailored Italian suit accented his broad shoulders and muscular arms. And his eyes…his eyes were like small portals into what women dreamt about. It was almost as if his eyes held the meaning of why women go through what they go through with all men.

Simone sighed, and then smiled. The gentleman smiled back.

Simone uttered, “I don’t know where all this cold came from.”

He chuckled. “I guess I’m the only one who watches the weather channel.”

Simone chuckled too. His smile; his smile was reminiscent of the gateways to heaven.

“I guess so,” said Simone.

“You can have my jacket if you want. I can even walk you to your car if you like.”

“I’m not parked too far from here.” Simone pointed ahead of them. “See, there’s my car right there.”

The stranger frowned.

He asked, “So, you don’t want me to walk you to your car?”

Of course I do,” Simone thought. “I guess I’m trying not to be a bother,” she said.

“Oh it’s no bother at all.”

“I mean I don’t even know your name.”

“Kaiser.”

“That’s an interesting name. It sounds familiar.”

He smiled. “You’re probably thinking about the rolls.”

Simone giggled. “Oh yeah. I knew I heard that name from somewhere. Did your mother know she was naming you after bread?”

He laughed. “You’ve hurt my feelings now. No, I doubt she knew she was naming me after some rolls. The name Kaiser actually means “Leader.” Not many people know that part.”

“I’m sorry for hurting your feelings. How often do you get this reaction when you tell people your name?”

“Quite often. But since you’ve hurt my feelings, I think it’s only fair that you allow me to walk you to your car.”

“It’s only fair,” Simone tried to hide the fact that she was blushing.

“Do you want my jacket?” Kaiser asked as he slowly took off his jacket. Simone was too enthralled by his physique to have noticed his question, not to mention the cold air warmed up after their pleasant conversation.

When Simone noticed him handing her his jacket she snapped out of her trance and smiled. She wasn’t as cold as she was before but being wrapped up in his jacket was as close to being wrapped up in his arms as she could get. They walked, slowly.

“Here we are.” Simone stated.

“I like Hondas. I told my sister to get one.”

“Did she?”

“No, she got a Bentley instead.”

“Wow, that’s a big difference.”

He chortled. “I know. She’s eighteen. She just graduated from high school and rather than being practical like I was when I was her age, she wants to be a teen superstar.”

“Well, why buy a burger when you know you can get a steak.”

Kaiser smiled. “Touché.”

Simone paused. Then she asked. “How do you know the bridal party? I thought I knew all of Joanne’s friends.”

“Actually I don’t. I was just leaving my office from across the street and I noticed you shivering so I wanted to prove that chivalry wasn’t dead.”

Simone tried to contain her delight. “You noticed me from across the street,” she thought to herself. “Oh well, thank you for that. I appreciate it,” she said.

“I’m glad you did…you know you never told me your name.”

“Simone.”

“I like that. Unfortunately, for me, I can’t make a joke about a name as nice as that. I guess you’re lucky.”

“I guess.”

Kaiser smiled. Simone blushed. There was a brief silence. Then, Kaiser looked at his watch and then back behind him.

“Well it’s getting late and I should get back to my car.” He didn’t want to leave her but he did have other obligations.

Simone frowned. “Oh, ok. Well, thank you for walking me to my car.” Simone handed him his jacket and unlocked her car door.

“I hope this doesn’t have to end like this.” Kaiser quickly said, hoping not to lose a woman as attractive as Simone was.

“It doesn’t.”

Simone got into her car and rolled down her window. Then she pulled a business card from her pocket book and handed it to him.

“Here.”

He smiled. “Thanks.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave messages so I can track your feedback...