Saturday, May 14, 2011

As I Wait...

"As I Wait" is a story that chronicles the lives of two couples. The reader enjoys the ability to ride the journey that leads the couples through different interwoven scenarios that catapult them into new and unchartered territories.


“I miss you Kaiser. Do you ever miss me? Do you ever miss the things we used to do together? Do you at least think about me?”

“Try not to.”

His answers were short. She knew he didn’t want to say any more than he had to. She hoped it was to conceal what he really felt for her, among other things.

“Is it because of this new woman you’ve been seeing?”

Kaiser paused. With a woman like Mae, he knew he had to choose his words carefully.

“How do you know about the women I’m dating?”

“Women? There’s more?”

Kaiser shook his head and put his hand on the doorknob.

“I have to get going. I’ll call you.”

“Who is she Kaiser? Is she the new replacement?” Mae’s voice began to get cold and glimmered with bitterness.

“Let it go. I’m leaving.”

“She won’t last. Your heart won’t let her; it still belongs to me.”

Kaiser looked at her and then walked out the door. Before he got far enough, Mae grabbed his arm and pulled him into her embrace. Kaiser reluctantly pulled away.

“Why do you do this every time I come here?” he asked.

“Reassurance.”

“In what?”

“Us.”

“There is no ‘us’ anymore. You messed that up, not me…”

“And I’m trying to fix things. We can get back what we had Kaiser if you’d just let go”

“There’s nothing to fix. There’s nothing to get back to. You’re trying to make this harder then it needs to be. We’re not getting back what we had. You need to let go.”

“We need to be together Kaiser. Don’t you see that we—”

“There’s no we anymore. That’s why this whole situation is so hard because you won’t let go of the idea of there ever being a we. I love you, yes, but we have to move on from this. I’m beginning to hate coming over here and constantly dealing with this.”

“You didn’t have a problem three months ago when you had my legs up on your shoulders and my breasts in your mouth. There was a ‘we’ that existed then?”

Kaiser shook his head and exhaled.

“That was my fault…”

“You didn’t feel the need to let go then.”

“It was a mistake! It was late, I was horny, you had me come over here thinking that something was up with Siran to find out that you let her stay the night with some other friend and then answered the door practically naked, what was I supposed to do. I mean,” he paused, “I knew better, I just…”

“You wanted me then, what makes you think you don’t want me now.”

“Because I don’t. It’s not like after that night I came to the sudden realization that I can’t live without you. I still felt the same way. I still agree with the divorce. I still don’t see a future with us. Nothing changed after that night.”

She paused. “You fucking this new woman?”

Kaiser clenched his jaw and took a deep breath. He thought, I wish I were. He looked at his watch and freed himself from Mae’s grasp.

“I’ll talk to you later.”

“Should that answer my question?”

Kaiser turned on his heel and headed in the opposite direction.

“She’ll never love you like I did,” she yelled after him.

He stopped and turned to face her.

He said, “That’s what I’m hoping for.”

They stared at each for a moment and with that, Mae turned around and walked back in her home. Kaiser looked down at the concrete and then headed back towards his destination, questioning in the back of his mind whether it was the right place for him to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave messages so I can track your feedback...