Sunday, July 24, 2011

Black Caesar

I haven't officially put this in my novel but I'm thinking about it. This sort of came to me in the middle of my writing process and I couldn't let it go. I had to get it down on paper because my mind has a funny little habit of forgetting great story ideas. I'm still kicking myself for forgetting an awesome idea I had for a book title. I hate the fact that I can't remember.
I'm hitting a wall--as I usually do when I get to the middle of my novels--and the fact that I was able to get this out is a good thing. I only hope that I can keep the momentum and catch the eye of prospective literary agent interested in representing urban fiction. I could only be so lucky...

Stupidity is like a disease. At initial contraction, it attacks the central nervous system, slowly eating away at your brain cells. Soon, the people around you will notice. At first, they’ll ignore it and equate it to you not getting enough sleep, or maybe just having a bad upbringing. But eventually, it will hinder your speech and motor skills. Stumbling through life, bumping into obstacles that a smarter you would’ve been able to avoid. When you talk, people will stare at you with confusion. Ultimately, the people around you won’t be able to ignore it. They’ll whisper behind your back questioning your motives. They won’t recognize your symptoms as signs of an ailment—repetitive actions while expecting different results, dumbfounded expressions, a deep wallowing emptiness that only grows as the disease spreads—rather they’ll instantly judge you, completely unaware of the disease that has now affected your immune system. Yes, that sick feeling you live with is the stupidity seeping into your defense mechanisms. Now, you are more susceptible to manipulation, lies, obvious ploys at emotional destruction that a brighter you would have caught on to by now. But it’s too late; the disease is terminal and you have forfeited all cures of advice to know better. Now, when you are left to pick up the pieces of the devastation your stupid actions have caused, you’ll have no one to blame but yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave messages so I can track your feedback...